Saturday, February 17, 2007
Saturday Photo Hunt - Antique

Notre-Dame de Paris Cathedral is antique (finished in 1345) and full of antiques. It was built in an age of illiteracy (imagine that) and so the the cathedral retells the stories of the Bible in its portals, paintings, and stained glass.


Here's an interesting bit of trivia - on December 2, 1804, after the anointing by Pius VII, Napoléon seizes the crown from the pontiff and crowns first himself, then Josephine, at the cathedral.

Here's the link to the actual Cathedral website. (not the easiest website to navigate!)

I can get lost on the web looking up things. Just so many interesting places to go and read.

Don't you find it's so much more interesting visiting a place when you know some of the history and the stories about it either by researching first or hearing a guided tour?






( ICL )

Labels: ,

posted by Irish Church Lady :) @ 8:13 AM  
17 ppl had things to say:
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Tracie P. said…

    i love that angle! but don't you think that the exterior is a bit understated?

    ;)

    i used old european architecture too :)

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Beautiful church, ICL! I love your creativity and how you took the shot.

    Wonderful...

    Happy weekend, dear lady!

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    I love going to old cathedrals, and it is so much better if you know something about the buildings before you go. Great picture!

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now you know that I think this is a great choice for the theme!!! ;-)

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful picture of an amazing cathedral! Great choice for the theme this week :)

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a beautiful part of the worlds history!

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Absolutely gorgeous! :) So beautiful and perfect for the theme today. My photo is up

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger MaR said…

    It's a beautiful cathedral, I remember my visit. Yes, I try to read about the places I am going to visit beforehand, it really makes a difference!
    happy saturday!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Delete said…

    Ohhh! It is so beautiful! I so want to go to Paris next year for my 10th wedding anniversary!

    Blessings-
    Jennifer

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Anita Powell said…

    Beautiful! Great choice for the theme.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thats just lovely...thanks for sharing this week

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Such a beautiful building, great trivia. The stories this building could tell. Happy weekend.

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger Andree said…

    It is difficult for me to understand how they could have built such a thing of beauty, since, as you mentioned, the people who did it were illiterate. There were artisans of course, and it took years and years. But it is still difficult to comprehend! Thank you for the photo.

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Melli said…

    It certainly IS a beautiful old building, isn't it!? Great idea for today!

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger Viamarie said…

    Excellent architectural structure!
    Wish I could get the chance to see this one day. Love visiting old churches. The oldest we have here was built in the 15th century.

    Happy weekend!

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh! I love that picture!

    I was in Paris in '73 and believe me, I didn't have a digital camera back then--just one of those cameras with the square flash cubes. I don't have any really good pictures, but I DID get to climb the spiral staircase up to the roof.

    I'll see if I can find my pictures and post something up this week. There's a picture of me with a gargoyle that is pretty good!

    Come visit me; I put up a picture of Antique books

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger Jose said…

    Trully beautiful. Love the detail throughout the cathedral. Wish I could see it in person.

     
Post a Comment
<< doggie go home
 
 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Favourites. Make your own badge here.
me personal blog
Irish Church Lady ~ Slainte ~ It's only Me
what i blabbed b4
what i said way b4
linkies
stuff
stuff @ ICL SNAPS

  • Irish Church Lady SnapS ~ me Photoblog
  • Thursday Challenge
  • Photo Friday
  • 26 things
  • View slideshow
    photo bloggers

  • Saturday SPH Blogroll
  • credits
    15n41n1 Blog Flux Directory

    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
    © 2007 icl-is-at-home.blogspot.com